Full Job Description
Engineer (R&D) – Mid-level
Zephyr Systems has designed, developed, and builds products tailored to help our customers in any environment, focusing on sensor systems and unmanned vehicles. Our passion for engineering is evident in everything that leaves our doors!
As a mid-level Mechanical Engineer, you will work with project managers, engineers from a variety of disciplines, technicians, administrative personnel, and customers to plan, design, build, and test the mechanical aspects of our prototype products and support equipment. The job is fast-paced and usually involves multiple active assignments and projects.
To succeed in this role, you should be comfortable working with the uncertainty that comes with R&D projects, have excellent attention to detail, utilize good time management strategies, possess an aptitude for design and analysis skills, and be able to communicate with and work well within a multidisciplinary team.
A Mid Level Engineer is expected to do the following tasks:
- Lead one or more project-specific teams (see supervisory responsibilities below)
- Participate and/or lead product development within projects
- Establish and/or refine requirements and guide verification methods including at system, subsystem, and component levels
- Research, conceptualize, analyze, design, build, and evaluate mechanical aspects of products, equipment, and systems to meet requirements
- Generate and/or approve technical documentation (e.g. drawings and build procedures)
- Identify and evaluate alternate approaches
- Plan, execute, and document testing activities using both established and new procedures, including data collection and analysis
- Identify issues, conduct root cause analyses, and recommend design modifications to address performance deficiencies
- Contribute to reporting requirements such as progress reports
- General engineering improvement within the department
- Conduct investigations into new engineering methodologies
- Help refine processes to improve quality and reduce development timelines
- Support new business capture and project planning
- Participate in technical conceptualization process and proposal writing
- Estimate material costs, production times, staffing requirements, and related costs to provide information for management decisions such as proposals
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.